It all started with the construction of the railway station in 1882. In the spring of 1883 began the works to build the railway. In September of that year begins railway traffic in the direction of Balti - Ocnita.
In the period 1902-1905 on the proximity of the railway station was built pumping station and water tower, two warehouses for grain, ramp, 2 km of the road and three houses.
After 1905, on both sides of the road - former Lenin Street, now Independence Street, began to build the first private homes. Later, in 1910, on one side of the main street shops had been located and on the other side carts, full of agricultural products, as well as noisy fairs were held on Sunday. From this period Donduseni began to be trade fair settlement.
In 1915 appeared the first crafts products sold in commercial shops. Pottery occupied dominant position here, because of historical traditions of pottery in the surrounding villages.
By 1940 there were 1314 residents in Donduseni, among them the mayor of the settlement, postmaster, chief of the railway station, four gendarmes, three teachers and a priest.
At the end of 50s the settlement began to flourish in all areas and in 1963 Donduseni become the regional center. Currently, in Donduseni town residing 9870 inhabitants and Donduseni is the name of both the town and rayon.
As for the name of the city, there were divided views: the researcher Jeremiah A. discovered that the name comes from the name Dondosh / Dondesh. Another opinion, according to locals, insists on the version of a wealthy woman by the name of Donda. Land from the village of Corbu to the settlement, which now bears the name of Donduseni belonged to her. Donda built a church in the village of Corbu, that was memorable event to the residents.